GLFHC offers women’s health services in the inpatient and outpatient setting including family medicine physicians, nurse practitioners and OB/GYNs that have dedicated gynecologic clinics at each of the 5 major clinical sites. Services range from routine Pap Smears to gynecologic surgeries. GLFHC family medicine physicians can also perform colposcopies at Lawrence General Hospital, for patients who require this procedure.
GLFHC has full-time OB/GYNS available, per patient preference, for obstetrical care or consultations with family practice clinicians.
Low Risk OB
Family medicine physicians, including residents, provide prenatal and intrapartum care at LGH.
High Risk OB
Family physicians with additional fellowship training in obstetrics provide prenatal care to some of our higher risk patients such as those with twins, diabetes, or hypertension. This twice weekly HROB clinic benefits patients by providing high risk care locally so that patients do not have to travel to Boston. This group also performs all of the c-sections for GLFHC.
GLFHC’s Centering Pregnancy visits give expecting mothers more time for education about childbirth, breastfeeding, child care, and their pregnancy — at no additional cost!
How the Program Works
• For the first 20 weeks, patients see their regular GLFHC provider for prenatal visits.
• After the 20-week mark, patients begin seeing their Centering Pregnancy provider, who will be the one to deliver their baby. They also get paired up with 9 to 10 other women who are at the same stage of pregnancy for prenatal education.
During each Centering Pregnancy visit, patients:
• Learn about and discuss important topics for moms
• Complete a health assessment
• Are examined by their prenatal doctor
• Socialize with other moms in their group
Plus, all Centering Pregnancy patients tour the Labor and Delivery unit at Lawrence General Hospital! Patients get to see the delivery and postpartum rooms, make sure they know how to get into the right part of the building on their big day, meet the nurses who will be taking care of them and ask questions to ensure they feel comfortable.
Benefits of Centering Pregnancy
• No waiting
• Pre-planned appointments
• Getting to know the doctor who will deliver the baby at Lawrence General Hospital
• Improved health for both mother and child, including less risk of pre-term or early delivery
• Connecting with other moms in the community
• More time spent with the prenatal doctor
• Having fun!
Our time with our Centering Pregnancy patients doesn’t stop once their children are born, either! Moms and babies are encouraged to continue to visit Greater Lawrence Family Health Center for care with their family doctor.
GLFHC sponsors the only Spanish cancer support group in the Merrimack Valley: Fuente de Esperanza, or “Fountain of Hope.”
This group provides cancer patients and their families the opportunity to share their concerns with others having similar experiences. The support group offers educational sessions to patients who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer, or currently undergoing treatment, as well as patients that are in need of the support, no matter when they were diagnosed.