We Provide Medical Care and Gender Supportive Services that are Sensitive to the Needs of People on the Trans Spectrum
GLFHC is committed to providing affirming care of the highest quality, regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, religion, or socio-economic status.
GLFHC’s Transgender Care program helps to ensure access to high-quality, informed care for trans women, trans men, gender nonconforming, non-binary individuals, affirmed men and women, people with trans histories, and anyone with health needs unique to their diverse gender expressions and identities.
Transgender Care services are only available to patients who are or become patients of GLFHC and designate a GLFHC clinician as their Primary Care Provider (PCP).
Goals of the Transgender Care program
- Provide gender-affirming, comprehensive health care for all trans and gender nonconforming patients
- Transform the way trans people receive care and lead the way in eliminating barriers to achieving maximum health and wellbeing
- Collaborate with other clinics and organizations serving trans and gender nonconforming communities
- Provide high quality training and education to mental health and medical professionals
Gender Supportive Services
- Medical Care
- Primary Care
- Hormone Administration & Monitoring
- Testopel® implanted testosterone therapy
- Letters to Support Hormone Therapy
- Letters to Support Surgery
- Reproductive Counseling
- Post-Surgical Follow-up Care
- HIV & STD Testing & Counseling
- Specialized HIV Medical Care
- Breast Cancer Screenings
- Cancer Risks & Transgender People
- Cervical Cancer screenings
- Pharmacy services
- Violence Recovery
- Medical Care and Support for Victims of Violence & Harassment
- Medical Care and Support for Trauma Recovery in a Safe, Respectful Environment
- Medical Care and Support for Survivors of Domestic Violence, Hate Crimes, Sexual Assault & Police Misconduct
- Documentation of Hate Crimes
- Substance Abuse Services
- Office-based Opioid Treatment (OBOT), also known as a Suboxone® program
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Substance Abuse Acupuncture Therapy
- Substance Abuse Support Groups
- Complementary Therapies
- Acupuncture, Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy (OMT), Hypnosis, and Relaxation Techniques
Partnership with other Trans Health Leaders
GLFHC partners with Fenway Health in Boston, MA, follows the Fenway Transgender Health program medical protocols and the GLFHC follows the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care. Most of our transgender care clinicians have been trained by Fenway Health’s transgender care experts. GLFHC is also a member of Transgender Health ECHO, a program of the National LGBT Health Education Center.
Other Transgender Care Options
GLFHC cannot guarantee transgender cultural competence of other outside providers. We recommend you interview any provider and find one that fits with your needs and expectations.
- Fenway Health: +1 617.267.0900, http://fenwayhealth.org/
- Boston Children’s Hospital Gender Management Service (GeMS) Clinic: +1 617-355-4367, http://www.childrenshospital.org/centers-and-services/disorders-of-sexual-development-dsd-and-gender-management-service-program
- HelpNet: +1 800.652.0155
- National Association of Social Workers of Massachusetts: +1 617.720.2828
- Psychology Today Therapists: https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms
- Trans Care Resource Site: http://www.transcaresite.org
Additional Trans Community Resources
Links in this section are for information only and represent the opinions and thoughts of the authors/web sites and are not endorsed by, or reflect the beliefs of, GLFHC, or its affiliates. Neither this web site, nor any linked web sites are a substitute for professional medical or behavioral health advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical or mental health condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the GLFHC web site or any linked web site.
- The World Professional Association for Transgender Health, Inc.
- Compass (New England trans-masculine community peer support group)
- FTM International
- Hudson’s FTM Comprehensive Resource Guide International Journal of Transgenderism
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition Health Maintenance for Transgender Men
- Lyon-Martin Health Services
- New England Trans Women’s Alliance
- Tiffany Club of New England
- Transcend Boston and the Transgender Law Center
- Trans Youth Equality Foundation
- The Transitional Male Transsexual Roadmap